Well Lynne, I've finally got to answer your challenge.
"The Best Way to Find Yourself is in the Service of Others"
Mahatma Gandhi 1869-1948
I have thought long and hard about this and believe that any mother works for the service of others then as your parents get older you carry on looking after then.
Grandmothers and great grandmothers do the same.
I think most of my life has been spent in the service of others, not intentionally, it just happened.
First through family then with the careers I chose.
When I left school I went to work for the NHS, first as a cadet nurse then into nursing training in Carlisle I didn't finish my training as I got pregnant with Shaun and at that time they suggested it would not be a good idea to train as a young mother.
As a cadet
the uniform was tan
As a Student Nurse
I moved from Carlisle to Preston when Shaun was 2 and Catherine was a baby.
There I trained to be a teacher at a mature training College in nearby Chorley
I decided to do this as I would be able to have holidays with the children.
It didn't take me long to find out teachers holidays were not holidays
but a break from the classroom,time to plan and prepare for the next term. I bet you didn't know a head could call you into school at any time during holiday time if they wanted to and you had to go.
My mum and dad were thrilled when I started my training as they always wanted me to be a teacher and in the end all 3 of their daughter joined the profession.
My First teaching Post
This was the whole school
I am on the left of the photo standing next to the children



That was an interesting post Viv, 2 careers!!
ReplyDelete