Saturday, 8 March 2014

Books: Childhood memories

We always had lots of books around when I was a child. My mum was an avid reader and passed on her love of books to her girls. I loved Enid Blytons' Famous Five, and wanted to be like Georgina -probably where my love of detective novels came from.
I remember visiting the library in Carlisle when we were young. A great adventure as we lived in the country and it was at least 7 miles away and we would go on Saturday.
I can't remember all the Authors I read but I do remember "Tarka the otter" "Lorna Doone" "Treasure Island" "Coral Island" and Ballet shoes among others.
one of the ones I read at school was "little Black Sambo" his adventure aren't allowed any more
 
This one of the ones that I still have around.
Some of  the others are right at the back of the cupboard under the stairs.



6 comments:

  1. I had that book as well, and it has reminded me of the 'The Waterbabies', another one I loved. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a wonderful edition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so nice to still have the books, a treasure to pass on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Heidi and Famous Five very much too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely memories!
    I loved Heidi too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On catch up Viv.. I love to see the old books and the drawings are so 1960s aren't they!

    ReplyDelete