Thursday, 21 March 2013

Nostalgia

Yesterday we left home after lunch and came to Pine Lakes for a few days. Pine Lakes is on the Southern edge of the Lake District, situated around a lake that used to be a gravel quarry. It is very close to the M6 and only about an hour away from home. We just needed a break for a few days.

Kathijos challenge this week is Nostalgia: Five thing about me.

Today is the day I tell you where I was born and my early life.

I was born in a nursing home in 1947 in Chesterfield in Derbyshire (home births where the norm then). Mum and Dad lived in a tied house at Oxcroft - tell you about that another day. It was quite a few miles away from Chesterfield and as it was a really bad winter it was still snowing in March they had quite a bad time getting there in time. When I was 3 and my sister Mary was born we moved from the semi on the estate to a stone cottage on the same estate and it had cellars and attics. I loved that house even though I wouldn't go up into the attics by myself.

 
The Hills around where we stayed.
 
A lady reseating a chair in her shop in Sedburgh
 
A Bookshop in Sedburgh.
This is about 1/4 of the space they had.


7 comments:

  1. Good idea to be away for your birthday, wonder if you have got caught up in snow today?

    Wonder what other facts you will tell us by Sunday? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I could sit in that shop for hours :) I hope you are having a lovely break, it looks just stunning there. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow a house with an attic and cellars what a great place for a child. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When i was a little girl, I couldn't go in the basement alone. It had been used by people to hide during the war and there were inscriptions on the walls, I found it terrifying.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing as exciting happened in our cellar. It was used for coal and storage,

      Delete
  5. A cousinof ours had a cellar and every September to November wecollected papers and boxes and filled the cellar ready for bonfire night, I guess my Col would worry it was a fire hazard now but no-one worried inthe 60s did they!
    Funny how home births come and go, I had 4 of my five at home but it wasn't the doctors choice, great when I look back, but somehow I don'tknow if I would want my girls to do it.. ahh the double standard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Living in Florida, one doesn't have cellars (we also call them basements) but I did live in houses with attics. They were mostly used for storage. Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete