Thursday, 17 October 2013

Nostalgia Thursday

Kathi, the more I do your nostalgia weeks the more I realise I need to declutter.
I took some photos up in the loft yesterday but they were rubbish - no pun intended.
Anyway I found myself crawling about up there again tonight, moving stuff about and trying to get these machines in a good position to photo.
Somehow I've got bruises on my wrists and sore knees.

Today I thought I would look at my sewing machines.
 This is similar to mums Singer machine but mums had a better tension gauge and was altogether a much sturdier machine. I couldn't photograph it as I'm hoping it is somewhere in Africa helping a lady to make her children clothes and to make a living.
Dad bought an electric motor for it so you could guide the fabric with 2 hands.
I did a lot of dressmaking at home on that machine
 The next machine I had was this one
I inherited it from my nana who was a great dressmaker
Another Singer
I bought myself a new Brother machine in the 70's from a catalogue and among many other things made my sisters wedding dress with that.
It had discs you fitted to it and each disc had a different pattern to embroider.
Unfortunately I had been made in Spain and when I wore something out on it I couldn't get it repaired
The next machine I bought was a second hand Frister Rossman, just a basic machine - all I could afford at the time.
My next machine was the one below
 a portable Bernina
this was inherited from my Auntie. She bought it in 1972 and the bill is still inside the case.
The foot pedal has gone on this but I'm hoping to replace it as the machine is still a good one.

 
 
I also have a Husqavana Orchidea.
It is a sewing computer and I bought this with the money that Uncle Stan left me.
I love that machine but the embroidery unit has broken and the machine is now obsolite
 
My latest machine, bought with my inheritance from my mum, is a Brother computer machine
which also has an embroidery unit
 
I hadn't realised before today that I have had seven machines in my lifetime. I'm sure I won't be buying another. 


 

3 comments:

  1. My mum used to have the same Singer machine Viv and she was activating with her foot by swinging a metal plate. Then my Dad build her a small motor she could activate with her foot. I loved that machine ! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have my 21st birthday pressie a Bernina which was so modern in 1966!! Ialso have 2 singer machines of my DM and DMIL!! so only 3 in the house/loft!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. I didn't even know they made computer sewing machines. I had a Singer when I was younger then inherited my Mom's Kenmore (made by Sears Roebuck). I have recently passed it on to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete