Looking back over the years I've experienced quite a few different bonfire nights. When I was a child and when my children where little we always had a firework display at home.
These were always supervised by my father who absolutely loved setting off the fireworks. He kept them in a tin so they wouldn't be set off accidentally. We always had a feast, jacket potatoes (if we had a bonfire they were cooked in the embers wrapped in foil), sausages, beans etc and of course the inevitable bonfire toffee made at home.
As time went on we went to more organised displays as well mainly organised by the scouts and the church.
I have mixed feeling about November, I love the clear skies and the moon and the sunny days but I hate the damp overcast ones. These days I hate the time about Halloween and November 5th as loud banging fireworks are set off for weeks, mainly in the park behind us and poor Stella gets really distressed. We tend to find puddles in corners If I forget to spray Felliway to soothe her.
Like Anne, I hate the changing of the clock, it takes me ages these days for my body to get used to the change of time. I just can't see the point these days, it was started in WW2 so people could take advantage of daylight during the blackout.
I have heard various reasons for keeping it, one being it is safer for children going to school and another being it was better for the farmers in Shetlands and the north of Scotland, not being too dark for them getting the cows milked. Perhaps if Scotland goes independent we can keep British Summer time all year round.
I've haven't any photos of bonfire nights and haven't been out this weekend to take any.
Today is overcast so I couldn't get any lovely photos today of the sun on the lovely Autumn leaves.
Is it my imagination or have the leaves clung on to the trees a lot longer this year?
Snap no photos from me for this week's nostalgia
ReplyDeleteYes - no pictures - I'll have to read! Oops..
ReplyDelete/I also hate the time change - hour ahead - then an hour ago!
I always use the days off then./