I've not got round to nostalgia today. I've been to have some electrolysis on my chin -the joys of 60+.
Then as I was out and about this morning I went and joined our over 55 club. They run a knit and natter on Wednesday mornings once a fortnight and I'd like to join that.
They also have trips - wether I'll go on one of those, I dont know as Roland and I tend to go on our own outings at the times we want.
18th January
Well we've had some snow today. Not a lot as we very rarely do get much. When we do it doesn't last very long so we will see what the next few days bring.
These photos were taken this morning
And this one this afternoon
It's still snowing so we will see what has happened tomorrow.
Before I was 9 we lived in Derbyshire in the country and boy did it snow there. Schools didn't close and we used to have to walk a couple of miles to get there. We'd no car then - imagine. Mum with the baby in the pram and my sister and I walking. It was down a very steep hill to get to school and mum would have pushed that pram both ways twice a day. I think when the snow was very heavy we wouldn't have been able to get to school but I can't remember. I know mum used to stock up for the snow with big sacks of flour and things, so we must have got marooned now and again
One winter dad made us a sledge, very posh with metal on the bottom of the runners, and we'd sledge down one of the hills near us., Dad sitting on the back and Mary and I taking turns sitting in front of him. Slalom wasn't in it. I remember us running into a rock once and taking one of the runners off. But dad fixed it and the next day we were back again. Dad had trained to be a carpenter so it was no trouble for him.
I could go on and on with snow stories so I think I'll split them up over the next couple of days
You have brought back memories of our big heavy wooden toboggan with the metal runners. I can't actually remember using it much, my father always insisted on really deep snow as we would ruin the runners if they caught on anything.
ReplyDeleteYou have also brought back my memories cos My Dad made me a sledge with curtain track runners!!!
ReplyDeletei know what you mean about outings and going with Roland, I prefer trips with Peter too.
You look to have the same amount of snow as us :(
I would have thought that in Preston you get a lot of snow during winter. Must be my geography then, xxx
ReplyDeleteNo Anne, we are up north, but here in Preston we get sea breezes (from 15 miles away but no hills etc to stop them) and are sheltered by the pennines which takes a lot of the snow.
Deletelovely memories .
ReplyDeleteViv, that's lovely, we don't often get snow here and as a child even less so as we lived right in a sheltered cove by the sea. Here is a bit better and Col made a steel and wood sledge a few years ago, it always looked funny when you saw it inte shed or garden come summer! Thanks for buying into the nostalgia week. X
ReplyDeleteYes, I think the snow brings back a lot of memories.
ReplyDelete