Sunday, 25 August 2013

Nostalgia Saturday

Today has been a hectic day. We had two lots of builders in. One to fit the bedroom windows and the other to fit the skylights in the extension.
After that hive of activity nothing is going to be done until Thursday.

Yesterday we looked after Saoirse for a few hours while mummy took Oliver to have his stitches out.
She was a little love. It looks like her tummy is settling down
 
I've been thinking about my jobs over the years
 
When I was at school I remember wanting to be an air hostess but as I had no interest in learning a language - that was needed at the time - I soon grew out of that.
Before I left school I applied for a place at a place in Reading and got it to train to be a nanny. One of those that live in with families.

 Unfortunatly I was involved with Jim, my first husband, and decided I didn't want to leave him so I turned the training down. I'm afraid my heart has always ruled my head.
Somehow I ended up leaving school and becoming a cadet nurse at Carlisle. We wore a light brown uniform and I had a great time. We were given 2 uniforms so we could have one in the wash.
My very first ward was Mens Surgical and, as I only had 2 sisters, that was an eye opener for me.


 
Feeling rather nice in my new uniform
 
From there I went on to train to be a nurse but as I became pregnant I got married. That was what you did in those days, or give up your baby to be adopted. My mum and dad were very supportive and my mum said they would take on the baby but I was besotted with Jim and we got married.
When I became pregnant again, Jim began the first of his philanderings and we split up. I left our lovely little home and came down to Preston to live with mum and dad, who had moved there a year earlier.

I needed to keep myself so I applied for a job. I went for an interview with a panel of men from various government departments. I got a job but it was a disaster as, even though I told them I was hopeless with numbers, they employed me in the accounts department of the telephone service.
We had to add up the amounts of the payments sent in every day. It was a disaster as, even though I used a machine I am left handed which made me slow and I still made mistakes, which held up the whole department.
I realised mum was finding it hard work looking after 2 toddlers so I gave up that job with relief.

I knew I need to keep myself and look after the children and thought the answer was to train to be a teacher. I went to the local adult college for teacher training where there was a crèche for Shaun to go to and mum looked after baby Catherine.

Although I went into teaching for practical reasons I found it was my vocation and loved every minute of it until the last few years when I had changed schools. I came under a great deal of pressure from the head of the school and was asked to do work I was not trained for and not been employed to do. Every day was like a teaching practice day, Lynne will know what I mean, and I became ill and quit.
The Staff and myself in the very first school I worked in.
5 teachers, the head, nursery nurse and the caretaker
along with the priest
I'm sat at the end of the row next to him.



3 comments:

  1. strange how life leads us on different paths and sometimes things just fit into place...so pleased you found teaching, lovely photos of you too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to read and you have been so honest and open too well done xx

    I can see you were bigger in that photo too, wouldn't have recognised you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. I think I would have lived teaching as well but it wasn't in the cards for me as I never went to university which is a requirement. I started having my children too young I guess. I'm glad you found your niche. Great post!

    ReplyDelete